A in Action
Staying open, becoming centred, getting grounded
8 Exercises. Duration 11 Minutes
Take a break and rest afterwards.
With the eurythmy exercises for A you learn to stay open, remain earthed and to create a stable nourishing base for yourself.
Additional Eurythmy videos which can help you deeping the experience of the exercises
Text of the exercises and deepening questions
A - pronounced as in Answer
A1 The left and right columns
Perceive yourself in your centre between front and back, up and down, right and left.
Place your weight on the right side with a small step and perceive the carrying force of this column. Return to your centre and do the same on the left hand side.
Take a step forward and repeat perceiving the right and left column. Pay attention to the different experiences of the two columns.
B1 A with the legs
Perceive your middle. Take a step to the right and so far to the left that you return to the middle. Feel down from the heart, through the legs into the heels. Allow this to move your weight onto the heels to deepen your connection with the earth. Take a step forwards and repeat the exercise.
C1 A raying out
Lift your right and then your left arm, and ray through them so, that you have the impression you are raying into two different spaces. Experience how this affects your body.
D1 H with the shoulders
Roll your shoulders a couple of times. Contract a little in the front and release them with a slight backwards jerk, followed by gently streaming down from the shoulder-blades.
E1 H with the Arms
Put your hands in front of your collarbones. Use the whole body to send them high up, and allow them to be carried down slowly by the back.
F1 A-H behind
Ray through the arms and feel the counter current from the periphery. Create an H with the shoulders that takes you a step backwards. Pay attention that the memory of the in-streaming A is still present in the down streaming H.
Questions to deepen the Eurythmy exercises
How do you experience the step forward between the repetition of an exercise?
- The step helps me to let go, to start anew and to deepen experience.
- The step in between disturbed me because I wanted to stay in the experience,
- The step deepens the exercise and helps me stay in it.
A1 How do you experience the difference between your right and left column?
- I feel more at home in my right column than in my left column.
- I feel more at home in my left column than in my right column.
- The difference was so small that I don’t know if I even felt anything.
C1 Can you experience in the A Gesture that:
- It makes you feel at home in your body and deepens your connection with the earth?
- It produces an instreaming quality which is often accompanied by a stream coming from the front towards you.
- It brings the weight back on the heels naturally.
F1 In doing the “A-H behind” exercise, do you manage:
- That the body feels naturally taken along towards the back without me actively doing anything?
- That the instreaming quality of the A becomes palpable again in the down-streaming H?
- That I feel light and refreshed from within afterwards?